Among the numerous health benefits of yoga, one is yoga for digestion. Common stomach problems include constipation, stomach pain, gas, acid reflux, and acidity. Yoga can help you get relief from these conditions. Digestive problems occur due to various causes such as irregular eating habits, allergy to some foods, stress, sedentary lifestyle, bad diet, etc.
Read on to learn how yoga for digestion can help you improve your digestive powers.
How Yoga Helps
There are many yoga poses that can stimulate the intestines, pancreas, and stomach, making them strong and healthy. Yoga poses can bring about the following improvements:
- Eliminate Constipation problems
- Decrease gas
- Increase production of mucous
- Reduce acid
- Improve absorption of food
- Improve gastrointestinal circulation
Yoga for Digestion
Yoga poses can definitely improve your digestive powers and eliminate stomach problems. But, a few precautions need to be taken when practicing yoga for digestion:
- Perform yoga poses in the early morning on an empty stomach. You may drink some warm lemon water prior to starting your yoga session.
- Do not hurry to do the poses. Be mindful and practice breathing.
- Think positive and visualize that the yoga poses are benefiting your digestive system as your practice.
- Refrain from practicing yoga if you have just had surgery or suffer from appendicitis, peritonitis, hernia or abdominal injuries. Consult a doctor for more advice.
- After your yoga session, relax in Shavasana (corpse pose) for 5-10 minutes.
11 Yoga Poses for Digestion
- Cow/Cat Pose
- Downward-Facing Dog
- Extended Triangle Pose
- Extended Puppy Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Wind Removing Pose
- Supine Twist
- Wide Child’s Pose
- Half Lotus Twist
- Camel Pose
- Half Boat
Follow the many Yoga instructors at the #blackwomensyogaco on Instagram to learn how to do the poses.